Carbon monoxide is an extremely deadly gas that is produced when fuel is burned by appliances such as furnaces or boilers. When functioning properly and used correctly, appliances that burn fuel will not emit harmful levels of carbon monoxide; however, improperly ventilated or damaged appliances can leak fumes at dangerous—even lethal—levels. Unfortunately, carbon monoxide is tasteless, odorless, and invisible, making it very hard to detect. So too is mild carbon monoxide poisoning, because its symptoms (including headaches, dizziness, and nausea) can easily be mistaken for other illnesses. Sustained exposure to high concentrations of carbon monoxide eventually leads to disorientation, unconsciousness, and death.
Greater Cleveland’s trusted source for carbon monoxide protection
The dangers of carbon monoxide in the home
Each year in the U.S., over 400 people succumb to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in the home, with an additional 20,000 sent to emergency rooms and more than 4,000 hospitalized. In Northeast Ohio, such cases are all too common; recent high-profile incidents in Northeast Ohio involving carbon monoxide poisoning in the home have occurred in Cleveland, East Cleveland, and Cleveland Heights, among other cities.
What to do if you suspect a carbon monoxide leak
If you or someone else in your home is exhibiting symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, you need to take immediate action:
- Open the windows in your vicinity
- Get everyone outside of the house into fresh air
- Call emergency services, the fire department, or 911
- Have a medical professional assess whether care is needed
- Once the immediate emergency has passed, contact a trained Cleveland air quality professional to inspect your home’s appliances and ventilation, and uncover the source of the carbon monoxide leak
How can I protect myself and my loved ones from carbon monoxide poisoning?
Luckily there are simple steps you can take to ensure that you and your family never face the potentially lethal consequences of a preventable carbon monoxide leak:
- Have a professional install carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home
- Make sure that all furnaces and boilers are professionally installed and operated according to the manufacturer’s instructions and local building codes
- Hire a qualified technician to perform regular testing of furnaces and boilers; trying to service your own furnace, boiler, or other carbon monoxide-producing appliance without proper training can be disastrous
- Have your system tested for carbon monoxide
Verne & Ellsworth Hann is here for you
At Verne & Ellsworth Hann, our customers’ health and safety is our primary concern. For over four generations, our certified technicians have safely installed furnaces & boilers all over Northeast Ohio, from our home base in Cleveland Heights to suburbs on the east and west side of Greater Cleveland. We are proud to offer the following carbon monoxide detection and prevention services:
- Checking all fuel–burning appliances to make sure they are functioning properly and not leaking carbon monoxide
- Determining the best location for carbon monoxide detectors in your home and properly installing them
- Testing your house for any carbon monoxide leaks and using specialized equipment to determine which parts of your home, if any, have elevated levels of carbon monoxide
- Offering carbon monoxide detection as part of our routine maintenance visits
- Quickly addressing any carbon monoxide concerns we uncover so that your home is always safe!
Contact the Cleveland heating and cooling experts at Verne & Ellsworth Hann today to make sure that your home and family are protected from carbon monoxide.