Waking up in the dead of winter to discover that your home’s furnace has died can be incredibly frustrating. The easiest way to avoid this major annoyance is to call on a respected Cleveland heating company at the first sign of trouble to have your unit examined and make any necessary fixes. Below are some of the most common signs that a furnace is under stress or on its way to a breakdown:
- Advanced age: The lifespan of most furnaces ranges from 10 to 20 years; normal wear and tear from extensive use in Cleveland’s long, cold winters can cause malfunctions such as airflow issues or problems with heat control. Minor to moderate issues can be repaired by a Cleveland heating professional, but eventually you will need to replace your furnace.
- Dirty or clogged air filters: A furnace running with chronically dirty filters will have reduced airflow; eventually, this will lead to damage with the limit switch, which controls the fan.
- Rust buildup or corrosion: Water vapor, carbon monoxide, and sulfur emitted from furnaces will corrode the unit’s metal parts over time.
- Cracks in the heat exchanger: While the furnace is heating and cooling the air in your home, its heat exchanger is expanding and contracting. Eventually this can cause cracks to form.
- Problems with the electrical ignition or pilot light: A faulty ignition or pilot light due to malfunction, drafts, or clogs will cause the furnace to fail.
- The furnace is not performing optimally: Not producing enough heat, continuously running, or shutting off intermittently are signs that a furnace is in distress.
- Unusual noises: When a furnace is making odd rumbling or rattling noises, it is a sure sign that there is a mechanical problem, clogged burner, or airflow issue at work.
If your furnace is on its way to a breakdown, do not hesitate to contact an experienced Northeast Ohio HVAC company like Verne & Ellsworth Hann. Our Cleveland heating technicians are skilled in the safe handling of gas- and electric-run furnaces.