Today, December 12th, is National Poinsettia Day. Here are 8 interesting facts about poinsettias:
- There are more than 100 varieties of poinsettias.
- The colored part of the poinsettia is not a flower but is actually a colored leaf.
- Although poinsettias are not poisonous, it’s best to keep them away from pets. Especially puppies and kittens. The sap can make them sick.
- Some people with latex allergies have had a skin reaction after touching the leaves of a poinsettia.
- Poinsettias are perennial shrubs that were once considered weeds.
- ‘Prestige Red’ is the most popular color.
- Poinsettias are not frost-tolerant. They are grown in coastal climates and can reach 10 feet tall.
- Poinsettias are the best-selling potted plant in the United States and Canada.
Every year we are delighted, here at Verne & Ellsworth Hann, to receive a beautiful poinsettia from one of the companies we advertise with. This annual gift puts us all in the holiday spirit!
Verne & Ellsworth Hann
Heating / Cooling / Plumbing / Boilers
(216) 932-9755 – VEHbrothers.com – 2026 Lee Rd., Cleveland Hts., OH 44118