Finding The Right HVAC Contractor
Finding the right contractor to do any kind of project for your home can be daunting. Whether it’s remodeling the kitchen, putting on a new roof or finding the right HVAC company for a new heating and cooling system. Typically, people rely on word of mouth. Which generally is a good place to start. But if you don’t take it to the next step by researching your potential contractor’s credentials, word of mouth can be a little like going to a new restaurant. Your first time at the new restaurant, your meal is excellent. The second time to the same eatery, your meal is cold and the service poor. Like any restaurant, consistency and reliability are critical when choosing a contractor, especially an HVAC contractor.
Consider these 9 tips when looking for an HVAC contractor:
1. Study up — Find out about license and insurance requirements for contractors in your state. And before you call a contractor, know the model of your current system and its maintenance history. Also make note of any uncomfortable rooms. This will help potential contractors better understand your heating needs.
2. Ask for referrals — Ask friends, neighbors, and co-workers for contractor referrals. You can also contact local trade organizations for names of members in your area or consult the building department of the city in which you reside.
3. Call references — Ask contractors for customer references and call them. Ask about the contractor’s installation or service performance, and if the job was completed on time and within budget.
4. Find special offers — A heating and cooling system is one of the largest purchases you’ll make as a homeowner. Keep your costs down by checking around for available rebates on energy-efficient ENERGY STAR qualified heating and cooling equipment. Begin your search at www.energystar.gov.
5. Look for ENERGY STAR — ENERGY STAR qualified products meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and offer significant long-term energy savings. Contractors should be able to show you calculations of savings for ENERGY STAR heating and cooling equipment.
6. Expect a home evaluation — The contractor should spend significant time inspecting your current system and home to assess your needs. A bigger system isn’t always better; a contractor should size the heating and cooling system based on the size of your house, level of insulation, and windows. A good contractor will inspect your duct system (if applicable) for air leaks and insulation and measure airflow to make sure it meets manufacturers specifications.
7. Get written, itemized estimates — When comparing contractors’ proposals (bids), be sure to compare cost, energy efficiency and warranties. A lowest price may not be the best deal if it’s not the most efficient because your energy costs will be higher.
8. Get it in ink — Sign a written proposal with a contractor before work gets started. It’ll protect you by specifying project costs, model numbers, job schedule and warranty information.
9. Pass it on — Tell friends and family about your experience with Verne & Ellsworth Hann. We’re confident you’ll get a unqualified endorsement. Then, give us a call: 216-932-9755.
- Jeff P.( Moreland Hills, Air Conditioning Installation, July 2018 )
Well done, as always.
- Julia B.( Cleveland Heights, Air Conditioning Installation, June 2018 )
I had an exceptional experience. From office staff on the phone to Chris giving me a quote to the installers, everyone was polite, professional, and respectful. I was treated as a responsible, knowledgeable homeowner and completely comfortable with the installers in my home. I absolutely made the right decision in hiring them to add central A/C to my home.
- Kirstan R.( Cleveland Heights, Furnace and Air Conditioning Installation, April 2018 )
We found the entire experience of working with Verne & Ellsworth Hann to be professional and our expectations for the work were exceeded. We really appreciate your attention to detail and how thoroughly you completed the work.
- Bill F.( Chagrin Falls, Furnace Installation, March 2018 )
You guys were amazing! So happy with you and LOVE our new furnace!
- Steve A.( Solon, Furnace Installation, March 2018 )
Professional and courteous. Fair and accurate estimate. Great job guys!