Finding The Right HVAC Contractor
Finding the right contractor to do any kind of project for your home can be daunting. Whether it’s remodeling the kitchen, putting on a new roof or finding the right HVAC company for a new heating and cooling system. Typically, people rely on word of mouth. Which generally is a good place to start. But if you don’t take it to the next step by researching your potential contractor’s credentials, word of mouth can be a little like going to a new restaurant. Your first time at the new restaurant, your meal is excellent. The second time to the same eatery, your meal is cold and the service poor. Like any restaurant, consistency and reliability are critical when choosing a contractor, especially an HVAC contractor.
Consider these 9 tips when looking for an HVAC contractor:
1. Study up — Find out about license and insurance requirements for contractors in your state. And before you call a contractor, know the model of your current system and its maintenance history. Also make note of any uncomfortable rooms. This will help potential contractors better understand your heating needs.
2. Ask for referrals — Ask friends, neighbors, and co-workers for contractor referrals. You can also contact local trade organizations for names of members in your area or consult the building department of the city in which you reside.
3. Call references — Ask contractors for customer references and call them. Ask about the contractor’s installation or service performance, and if the job was completed on time and within budget.
4. Find special offers — A heating and cooling system is one of the largest purchases you’ll make as a homeowner. Keep your costs down by checking around for available rebates on energy-efficient ENERGY STAR qualified heating and cooling equipment. Begin your search at www.energystar.gov.
5. Look for ENERGY STAR — ENERGY STAR qualified products meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and offer significant long-term energy savings. Contractors should be able to show you calculations of savings for ENERGY STAR heating and cooling equipment.
6. Expect a home evaluation — The contractor should spend significant time inspecting your current system and home to assess your needs. A bigger system isn’t always better; a contractor should size the heating and cooling system based on the size of your house, level of insulation, and windows. A good contractor will inspect your duct system (if applicable) for air leaks and insulation and measure airflow to make sure it meets manufacturers specifications.
7. Get written, itemized estimates — When comparing contractors’ proposals (bids), be sure to compare cost, energy efficiency and warranties. A lowest price may not be the best deal if it’s not the most efficient because your energy costs will be higher.
8. Get it in ink — Sign a written proposal with a contractor before work gets started. It’ll protect you by specifying project costs, model numbers, job schedule and warranty information.
9. Pass it on — Tell friends and family about your experience with Verne & Ellsworth Hann. We’re confident you’ll get a unqualified endorsement. Then, give us a call: 216-932-9755.
- John R.( Cleveland Heights, Humidifier Installation, April 2019 )
The guys that did my work were great! They took their time and worked with me. They came up with the best solution for the humidifier. Thanks!
- Nancy M.( Cleveland Heights, Furnace & Air Conditioning Installation, April 2019 )
I couldn’t be happier. I wish everything I had done to the house would go this smooth!
- Karen, N.( Cleveland Heights, Boiler Installation, March 2019 )
Great job! Terrific technicians!
- Patrycja, A.( Cleveland Heights, Furnace and Air Conditioning Installation, April 2019 )
I want to thank you for making this process so easy and manageable. Replacing my old furnace was giving me a lot of anxiety, and the professionalism and reach-ability of everybody at Verne & Ellsworth Hann made it a great experience.
- Kathleen S.( Cleveland Heights, Furnace & Air Conditioning Installation, March 2019 )
Exceptional work done in a timely fashion. All questions answered, especially after installation, to clarify new but normal furnace sounds. Have been satisfied customer since mid-90’s.